House of Night Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Short Story Contest

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nightchild
Mod
Mod
Nightchild

Female Taurus Buffalo

Character sheet
Name: Destiny Jez Fall
Affinities : Can't miss what I aim at, Spirit and Earth..

Short Story Contest  Empty
PostSubject: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Let out your creativity in a short story!

Since there are a lot of talented writers on this site, I decided to make a Short Story Contest, since there hasn't been one for a while. The rules are simple; it cannot be over PG-13 rated - everyone on here has to be able to read it - and it can be a maximum of four pages on Microsoft Word. The story can be about anything.
The contest will be open until the 12th of January.
Good luck & have fun!
~Nightchild
Back to top Go down
http://imagination-forum.forummotion.com
FallenInLove
Trying to break up a fight
FallenInLove

Female Scorpio Rooster
Location : sitting in a corner, crying, wishing I could be in your arms :/ </3

Character sheet
Name: Michelle Wherry (before marking: Allison Jackson)
Affinities : Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Soul, and can feel when people close to her are injured

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Can we post the story here or should we PM you? And can it be in the form of a letter?
Back to top Go down
http://Hogwarts4life.forumotion.com
Nightchild
Mod
Mod
Nightchild

Female Taurus Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Yes, your story may be in the form of a letter, and you may post it here (:
~Nightchild
Back to top Go down
*~Dreamer~*
Combining your affinities to save the day
Combining your affinities to save the day
*~Dreamer~*

Female Gemini Pig

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:34 pm

The Wait

Waiting for mom to get ready, waiting for dad to buy me something, waiting for friends to hang out with, waiting to receive results, waiting for my turn, waiting… I grew up waiting, always waiting. There was nothing I never waited for, nothing…

School drone its final bell as I stepped out of my final lecture. Nothing bored as much as sitting in a hall with a hoard of friends who only cared to sleep, and it didn’t help that the teacher was that boring and monotonous. I sighed as I gathered my belongings and left the theatre.

That day, it was the usual; I was waiting for school to end. Yes, it finally did eventually end, but I had to wait again. Training only began at five-thirty. I checked my watch. There were still two long and dreary hours to kill, and wait.

‘Aye, Klitz.’ Someone came up to me, I could make out that it was a junior, but I wasn’t sure who.

‘Uh… Yes?’ I raised an eyebrow.

She simply plopped her butt down in the chair, unaware that I was waiting for someone to join me. She went on about her Project Work and her team and every nit-grit detail about her efforts degenerating to waste. As I was the school’s student council’s counselling board director; my duty was to help troubled peers and juniors, like her. So I sat and listened.

When I was done with dealing with her problems, it was already an hour into training. I cursed myself for not handling my time well under my breath and hurried to the designated training room.

‘Sorry sir, was held up.’

I flung my bag into the locker, grabbed my flute, and joined the team, sitting beside Kaysie, the girl whom I never could muster the courage to ask out – My dream girl.

‘It’s okay!’ Kaysie gave me a toothy smile, ‘You have the whole school to take care of.’

‘Shut up and practice!’ Bellowed the instructor, ‘Late and still chatting?’

‘Sorry sir.’ That shut both of us up as we sat side by side, synchronizing our notes as we played.

‘Hard work’ She muttered under her breath as his body swayed to the melody.

I nodded. It was indeed very hard work… Waiting. I was waiting for her whom I had been head over heels since elementary school to send me a message or just notice me. Waiting, waiting, and waiting… But to no avail. It was just plain weird though, that ‘giving up’ didn’t seem to register in my mind.

Given I was the peer counsellor, my peers locked their thoughts from me cause they thought I knew how to handle my problems, because I could handle so many people’s problems. I had several buddies who cared, but no one actually ever told me what was the better alternative, other than waiting. Many girls did chase me, but I had eyes on no one but her. With all those girls surrounding me, I really was at loss over what I should do to win her over. I didn’t even know how to reject them properly, because I didn’t want to hurt them.

Evening drew to a close as practice was over. I headed back to the lockers as everyone did, too wear out to even speak of my day. It was just a boring waiting and listening to others’ problems. I loved helped others, but why was no one trying to help me? It is really easy to make my day, just a small note of encouragement could pump me up, you know… I was always waiting for it, but it never came… Never did… I pulled my bag out of the cell and tore open the zips to retrieve my sweater.

A little post-it note stuck to the sweater as I fished it out of my bag. It was yellow and neon. It was round and I could immediately tell a smiley face was drawn on it. I flipped it around.

<-- Look

It was written in a neat girly handwriting. The drawing lines when they wrote letters were a must, even if it were to distant friends; we were always that prim and proper. Curious, I popped my head into my locker. I was greeted with a shocking surprise: The walls were already coated with a layer of post-its. I tore them off piece by piece and stuck them together, one on top of the other as I read them:

Kind soul

Pretty heart

Caring peer

Awesome friend

Sweet guy

Dance with me for Prom!

Pick me for Prom!

Lets' date!

There were many, some with familiar handwriting, but mostly new to my eyes. I kept tearing more post-it from the walls and soon, they simply repeated themselves, those typical lines that foreign faces which I’ve once helped would write about me, I gave up reading sometime through and simply tore off new ones to stick under the growing stack of paper, soon to be trash. I was truly relieved when I felt the last post-it stuck at the side of the locker. I tore it off the metal wall and tapped it right below, too lazy to even read it. It would probably read some good quality about me again. I was sick of it. Alright, it made my day, yes, but maybe I didn’t want to see post-its anymore. Besides, the whole point of me ever thinking about post-its written for me wasn’t just from a random Tom, *edit your post and this will go away* or Harry, it was from HER. I didn’t need anyone else’s.

I sighed as I slammed the of my locker, swept my bag off the floor, slung it off a shoulder casually and left the practice room, not forgetting to dispose of the stack of waste paper in the recycle bin just outside of school.

Still I waited: Waited for the bus to come, waited for the lift, waited for my body to follow orders… and waited for the apple of my eye to see the good in me.
It seemed endless, yet I still could not give up.

She isn’t coming idiot, so why are you waiting? My conscious ever so often yelled at me, who simply didn’t hear anything, for I was too deep in love, too deep in affection, too deep…

Ever since that day I noticed all the post-it, I realized that my locker seemed to attract post-it. No matter how often I cleared it, when I went back to get things, it would be filled up with post-it again. Okay I am nice, fine! But stop trying to tempt the devilish side of me by making me clean up my locker so often!

Soon, I simply gave up cleaning the locker and I realized no new post-it would be pasted over, even though my study corner became the next area to collect post-it. I couldn’t help but to grumble. What was wrong with people in the school? Wasting so much paper! The next I’d have to counsel would be Mother Nature!

It was only until the night before prom, on the 3rd of December, where it was compulsory for all final year students to clean up their rented things, dorms, tables, lockers and study corner, that I finally touched all the many fanciful post-it again. Since it’ll be the last time I’ll see all these, why not just take some time to read each of them? Savour all the appreciation, even though you may not know them.

Shrugging to myself, I removed them like I did when I first saw them, and indeed, they read the same old comments. All complimenting, but not a single handwriting that looked like hers. Some where from female peers, some from close juniors, but just… Not any from her. I tore and I tore, this time, stacking them one on top of the other.
I looked into the locker to ensure there weren’t any pieces left behind, as I tore what I presumed was the last piece. I was then, that I saw star glowing at the far end of the locker. I extended my hand into the locker and retrieved a stack of five simple square, light-yellow post-it:

Study together? – Jan 3

Can we hang out some day? –Feb 14

I love you. – Aug 23

Dance together? – Nov 11

It was Kaysie. I could tell from the way her words slanted forward so much and no one could have mimicked her handwriting. It was too difficult to forge. She spent all her life coming up with her special handwriting. It was beautifully Kaysie. I finally turned to the one with a battery operated star glued to it:

Waiting~– Dec 3

Momentarily dazed by the colours of the lights from the star, the word didn’t register. When it did, I clutched the piece of paper in my palm and made a mad dash for the Prom hall.

‘Thank you for attending tonight’s prom, may all your friends here today be with you for life!’ The MC ended the night.

The dance had already begun, and she was already in the arms of another man.

Opening my palms to look at the note once more, the lights on the star faded out as the battery died.

(Decided to change the story cause the previous one is 10 pages on Word.)

Last edited by *~Dreamer~* on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : 1st time to change story because it was too long, 2nd time to change title.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fictionpress.com/u/690245/
FallenInLove
FallenInLove

Female Scorpio Rooster
Location : sitting in a corner, crying, wishing I could be in your arms :/ </3

Character sheet
Name: Michelle Wherry (before marking: Allison Jackson)
Affinities : Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Soul, and can feel when people close to her are injured

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 pm

(Thank you Smile )

The Story of Us

To The Love of My Life:

I had always loved hanging around you but we never talked until the talent show. I remember first seeing you at the band concert with your cousin Rebecca, this was when I was in the 7th grade, and you were in sixth. I liked you since then, never got the nerve to talk to you until the Talent Show this year. Talent show was fun. Let me tell you how everything came to be the way it is now…

The first time I ever saw you, was when I was in the 7th grade, you hugged my friend Rebecca and walked by me. I followed you to the band room, as you got ready for sixth graders to go on stage to play. I waited in the front of the room for all you sixth graders to leave and all the seventh and eighth graders to come in. I thought about how arrogant you seemed. I figured you and Rebecca had to be related, but did not know until I asked her. You two were cousins, and I saw you twice that year. I always tried to hide, never wanted anyone to know I liked you and no one ever found out.

The next year is my eighth grade year and your seventh. That is this year. I saw you at band day, the winter concert, and combined rehearsals. I never talked to you because I was afraid of saying something stupid. I waited until the Talent Show when I saw your name on the list of the people who made it. I smiled to myself and could not wait; I made a vow that I would talk to you once and for all.

I found I was paired with Kaitlyn and Ileana, I had been friends with Kaitlyn for a while, and I had no clue who Ileana was. Kaitlyn and I were stuck with barely anything to sing, but then Ileana was taken out of the Talent Show and it was just Kaitlyn and me. I talked to you and I knew Kaitlyn and Maddy liked you too. At first, I tried to act as if I did not like you, that we were just friends, and then I started to make it obvious. Kaitlyn got really mad, but you calmed her down.

You asked her out and at first I acted like nothing mattered but then I text you and told you exactly how I felt. You told me you liked me but you like Kaitlyn just a little more. Then the next day you told me that you did not like her that much any more. I smiled when you said your feelings for me were growing.

I knew this would be the moment I would remember for life. Then it was the Talent show, Kaitlyn found out everything, and was pissed. She still is, just to let you know.

I smiled the night that we made it official on facebook. Tried to hide it from my dad, who incidentally found out, which turned out better then I thought it would. He was disagreeable about it though, but perfectly fine now that he met you.

Everyone thinks that we should kiss, but the night of the formal will be the best night. However, that never happened, I am okay with that.

The band festival was hilarious. You had to help me put my bowtie and cummerbund on, which was funny to see everyone’s face, looking like they had no clue about us, pfft. Then being stupid and being like “Go get ‘em Alli” and crap like that. I was never the one to have a boyfriend, never thought I would, I thought I would die an old cat lady to be honest.

Spring break was a dread, at least for me. I was always thinking about you, and looking at my phone’s wallpaper. I dreamt about you multiple times, I knew that this break would be very long with out you. And so, I text you whenever I could, thought of you every second.

Kaitlyn, darn, she’s been such a butt head lately, that and a female dogg. Hitting me in the hallway and then ignoring it! Urghg! I want to slap her so bad! But, I know that you will stop me. Every time I see her, I tense up, except when I am with you.

Formal was so much fun, we never left each other’s side. <3 I loved it, best night of my life. The slow dance was personally my favorite.

I know I am giving this to you after our one month, which is when it was done, but I wanted to add the whole formal in. I can tell you that, for a fact, there are many embarrassing pictures for both of us on facebook. The ride to formal was hysterical, laughed the whole way there. AHHAHAHHAHAHA, lol.

I notice that I seem to be rambling, when all I really have to tell you I is I love you, and you are the only one I love for now. I love you now and I will love you forever. <3 Just make sure you stay safely by my side.

With Love,
Allison
Back to top Go down
http://Hogwarts4life.forumotion.com
Nightchild
Mod
Mod
Nightchild

Female Taurus Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Thank you for your entries! Before I announce the winner, let me just tell you that I loved both of them. I'm a sucker for romance. Though I loved both of them, there was one that I liked extra much, and that is...

The Wait by *~Dreamer~*. Congratulations, and well done to both of you! Thank you for entering.
~Nightchild
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short Story Contest    Short Story Contest  Empty

Back to top Go down

Short Story Contest
Page 1 of 1