House of Night Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something I noticed...

Go down 
+7
Lilith of Night
little_flower
Crystal Rose
jasmine silverdragon
Bella-Rose
Emo Kitty
VampyreFreak
11 posters
AuthorMessage
VampyreFreak
Admin
Admin
VampyreFreak

Female Libra Horse

Character sheet
Name: Karena Drako
Affinities : Writting and Death

Something I noticed... Empty
PostSubject: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 3:11 pm

So I finished reading the Handbook and decided to re-read Tempted (I read the others too many times) and I noticed that in it Damien says that in the Handbook, there is something that says that when Christianity started taking over Europe, shrines to Nyx and Gaea were turned into Shrines to Mary, he says it was in the Fledgling Handbook 101. Nowhere in the book did I see this...

Has anyone else noticed any other things said in the books that aren't in the Handbook?
Back to top Go down
http://houseofnight.forumotion.net/forum.htm
Emo Kitty
Admin
Admin
Emo Kitty

Female Leo Dog

Character sheet
Name: Luna Moon
Affinities : Fire, Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:04 pm

I noticed that too, am gonna read through all the books again to see if anything else is missing
Back to top Go down
Bella-Rose
Discovering you have an affinity for Spirit
Bella-Rose

Female Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:20 am

Yes! You're absolutely correct. As well as the pictures of the Island of Capri and San Clement Island.
Back to top Go down
jasmine silverdragon
Being Chosen by Nyx
Being Chosen by Nyx
jasmine silverdragon

Female Taurus Horse

Character sheet
Name: Jasmine Silverdragon
Affinities : earth

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 am

I noticed that to and plan on re reading the books to see what was left out. I thought perhaps they would be coming out with more handbooks and this was just an oversight,
Back to top Go down
Bella-Rose
Bella-Rose

Female Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 am

i think it's an oversight to be honest :p
Back to top Go down
VampyreFreak
Admin
Admin
VampyreFreak

Female Libra Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 pm

But still..It says that the 1st Handbook has all this detail, and thanks to no one reading it, Damien always tells them something...
Back to top Go down
Bella-Rose
Bella-Rose

Female Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 am

Lol, that's what i meant, i think PC Cast forgot how frequently the HON series actually mentions the FH101 and all the details/
Back to top Go down
VampyreFreak
Admin
Admin
VampyreFreak

Female Libra Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Probably...but that sort of disappointed me cause I really wanted to see how much they have in the first handbook, seeing as they are all 3rd formers and would have the FH 101 and not any of the higher ones.
Back to top Go down
Bella-Rose
Bella-Rose

Female Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Well yeah, that's supposedly implication within the books, but with the FH101 itself, it says in the book that there are Fledgling Handbook 401, when in the series that's a sociology book
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 am

Sorry if this is reviving a dead conversation if you've settled on the subject being an oversight.

I haven't read the handbook, but I will state that "The Virgin Mary was Nyx before Christianity" is actually a concept that has appeared in history; The Casts weren't the first to come up with this. For example, the Teutonic Knights had a history of purging people who wouldn't convert and become baptized, a common situation that occured in any Religious Order during the Crusades, thus if anyone wanted to continue worshipping their idol, Pagan Gods and Goddesses in most cases, they had to do it some other secretive way or face getting slaughtered. Mary is one example for being used in this sense and thus there is acceptance to religions having similiar backgrounds or an entity in one religion can have a different form in another and said to have similiar existances.

This situation appears several times throughout the books, one event being Grandma Redbird explaining that Christmas Tree's were something Christians adopted from the Pagans. There's good amount of historical fact to this. Zoey says the House of Night decorates the tree's, so the tradition is most likely present in their handbook as simple holiday education, but is there a mention of that in the OUR handbook?

What I'm saying is I thought it was just historical allusion which I'm assuming everything present in the handbook is to some degree, but it's a statement rather than there being significant background for a totally cool story about it. If you know the historical facts, you can pretty much make up your own interpretation very easily if you don't want to be bored with history lessons. Again, I haven't read the handbook so what do I know. There's probably a number of historical contexts present in the books that doesn't appear in the handbook.
Back to top Go down
Crystal Rose
Trying to stop war
Trying to stop war
Crystal Rose

Female Leo Monkey

Character sheet
Name: Star Light
Affinities : Spirit,and Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm

she has a point I just started reading it so it is interesting in the history like how the symbols were created
Back to top Go down
http://dragcave.net/user/Victoria_Tod
little_flower
Seeing the Tracker
Seeing the Tracker
little_flower

Female Aries Horse

Character sheet
Name: Katie Moonbeam
Affinities : Spirit,fire, music (Flute and sing), and dance

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 am

VampyreFreak wrote:
Probably...but that sort of disappointed me cause I really wanted to see how much they have in the first handbook, seeing as they are all 3rd formers and would have the FH 101 and not any of the higher ones.

There not all 3rd formers.the twins are 4th fomers.
The handbook is mssing a lot of stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Lilith of Night
Discovering that the High Priestess is evil
Discovering that the High Priestess is evil
Lilith of Night

Female Scorpio Buffalo

Character sheet
Name: Zara
Affinities : Water

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 2:27 am

I haven't read the Handbook yet, but it seems like it's a little disappointing because of the stuff left out. You'd think that if it's referred to so many times in the series, those parts would be top priority and a must before the rest of the book was written. I do like that she at least took the time to make more background stories so it's more realistic, but at the same time it sounds like a lot is missing that I would think would be important in keeping the realistic feel going on.
It would be like watching a trailer for a movie and it shows this cool scene, then when you see the movie the scene wasn't even in it. Not just disappointing, but it leaves you wondering if you missed something or imagined it.
Back to top Go down
ShelbyLeeLoveForever
Covering your mark to go off campus
Covering your mark to go off campus
ShelbyLeeLoveForever

Female Sagittarius Goat

Character sheet
Name: ShelbyLeeLoveForever
Affinities : Mind reading, Healing

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 6:37 pm

I didn't notice ><
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/random.star.2011?ref=profile
Livi
Going to the House of Night
Going to the House of Night
Livi

Female Aquarius Pig

Character sheet
Name: Olivia Rose
Affinities : Close to cats and air, poems.

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Yeah I noticed that, but if it came out later it must be incredibley difficult to remember all the references throughout the books but I think it's good for most details Smile
Back to top Go down
JCP1987
Eavesdropping on her conversation
Eavesdropping on her conversation
JCP1987

Female Pisces Goat

Character sheet
Name: Haruhi Yuki
Affinities : Sword/Judo/Tai quan do

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I thik damien is the only one who read the handbook, he always tells the others something he learned from the handbook, and yes i noticed there were things not in the handbook that Damien manly points out.
Back to top Go down
vampirechild
Accidentally blowing your friends over with Air
Accidentally blowing your friends over with Air
vampirechild

Female Virgo Tiger

Character sheet
Name: Sita
Affinities : water, fire

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 3:35 pm

I haven't read the handbook...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed...   Something I noticed... Empty

Back to top Go down

Something I noticed...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
House of Night Forum :: House of Night :: House of Night Accompaniment Books :: The Fledgling Handbook-
Jump to: