House of Night Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOOR (Adventure/ Magic)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
*~Dreamer~*
Combining your affinities to save the day
*~Dreamer~*

Female Gemini Pig

Character sheet
Name:

DOOR (Adventure/ Magic) Empty
PostSubject: DOOR (Adventure/ Magic)   DOOR (Adventure/ Magic) EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:17 am

A/N: This is the first novel I've written. In fact, the first story I've ever written. I don't know how good it is, I have been leaving aside for a long long time. I don't think it is good at all, that's why I'm posting it up, hoping to gather some reviews and critics to improve this story.

Door
Original novel with reference to Harry Potter Series, Inkheart Trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia and Death Note. Some ideas are adapted from the above mentioned novels/movies.

Prologue

6785 million humans living in present day. Five percent of this population acknowledges the presence of the other living race – Y’hier (Pronounced as ‘Yu-hay’). Derived from the Wise Tongue, ‘Y’hier’ meant Wizards.

Three percent of that population remembers the war, and fears the land where a Door is found amongst overgrown hedges and ferns.

Less than one percent knows of someone who is a Y’hier, or is a Y’hier himself/herself. With this small percentage knowing, the presence of Y’hiers slowly faded into history in the world of Humans.

Some children books did have some reference to Don Que’or (Pronounced as Dawn Qua-sure), the home where Y’hiers live, but since when were children books taken seriously? The reality that Y’hiers exist, became magical fairytales that children take for a pastime.

Only the older generations, the five percent of the existing population, knew the truth. Twenty years ago, when the five percent were still teenagers, they faced a war which lasted three dreadful years. Like that of World War II, many innocent lives were taken, and more children were abandoned by this war.
Although, in comparison to the World War II, a three year war was small issue, but it was enough to impair the relations between the two races. The two races that once lived in harmony fell apart.

The logic for the war was simple. The humans felt that Y’hiers were disrupting their normal way of life, getting everything before them. They see people whizzing past, and appearing out of the thin air, like wondering spirits. It made Humans feel uneasy.

Just for a simple reason of feeling less competent, the Humans started arm conflicts with the Y’hiers. Humans had better weapons than Y’hiers, though Y’hiers could summon disasters that could take down armies of Humans. That brainless blood and gore which lasted for three years took away 100 million living of the mere population of 400 million then.

As for the Y’hiers, they may have magical powers, but most of those in war were those who had just freshly graduated, and were not exactly stable with their spells. The elders were getting too old and frail to sustain any war, most of them were already sick and dying before the war. The children, on the other hand, were too young and did not even know what they were skilled at. To send the children for war was like sending a school of young salmons to the sharks. It would only raise the sharks’ aggressive nature to consume more. Children would only lengthen the war, and create more futile sacrifices. They however, followed their parents to war, for even school teachers and care-takers were utilized for war.

Tired of the senseless war, the seventh, and the youngest of the Wise Ones, restored the Door. The restoring of the Door meant that children had to return behind the Door. For the children knew not of the way home, and the needed someone to guide them when they are home as well, hence one of the parents had to follow them home.

However, there were still several children left behind. Some were abandoned because their parents were drowned in their own pool of blood before the Door was restored. Others were kept back by warring parents who loved them too much, or parents who detested the presence of their children and took that chance to leave them. These children who were left behind could not return to Don Que’or unless they were eleven and older. It is only eleven, that these children step out of childhood, become a fledging of the Y’hiers, and is recognised by the Door.

Hence, many Y’hier children abandoned by the cruel war were left to be adopted by other Y’hiers who stayed behind to take care of their underage kids. The Y’hiers who stayed behind, taught their children the human ways. They were ripped off all their energy, by that battle; they wanted no more of all those unhappiness.

After ten years, although some remained hostile, but most had somewhat forgiven these Y’hiers. They accepted their presence as they saw the distinct changes they had made to accommodate to the normal lives of Human. In fact, Y’hiers have adapted so well, people began to forget they are Y’hiers, and think that they have all returned to where they came from – Behind the Door.

Furthermore, the present younger generations read stories of Y’hier and their war, like any other novel they pick from the shelves. None of them treat it for real, for parents have often told them Y’hiers were only creations of long deceased writers.

Nonetheless, parents still remind their children never to near the forest. When children question, they would always claim that the forest is dominated by hungry spirits, waiting for innocent little kids to enter and devour them. In fear, children would stick near their parents whenever they pass by the forest. No one Human ever entered the forest since the war ended. It was soon known as the ‘Forbidden Forest’.

Even schools educated the students about the forest, and drove terror into the core of their bones. Those images formed by computer graphics made the innocent children live in perpetual fear of the forest which is actually perfectly safe to enter.

6785 thousand million souls living in the present, less than one percent who are Y’hiers enter and exit the forest, and less than half a percent of the newer generation daring to step into the unknown ground...

Even so, there happens to be three children who cannot live without adventure existing in this population of 6785 thousand million. Despite countless warnings from their teachers, peers and their mother, still took on a journey into the forest.

And before they started their expenditure, their friends and homeroom teacher came over to wish them the best. All of them lived in the belief that the three of them would be devoured, and would never return ever again, or would return mutated. Many tear at the thought of losing their beloved friends.

As expected of the three children, curiosity took the better of them. Neglecting the fear reflected from the tears of their peers, they ventured deeper into the ‘Forbidden Forest’.

After six hours of gruelling hiking and trekking, they were worn out. Just when they were about to stop for the day, the three of them stumbled unexpectedly on the Door.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fictionpress.com/u/690245/
*~Dreamer~*
*~Dreamer~*

Female Gemini Pig

Character sheet
Name:

DOOR (Adventure/ Magic) Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOOR (Adventure/ Magic)   DOOR (Adventure/ Magic) EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 pm

“Kyle, here’s the door.” Jade whispered as she swiped her hand over the dusty characters on the door.

Golden markings with amber borders braced themselves under the sunlight as she traced them carefully with the tip of her index finger.

“It’s locked” Jade turned the knob and tried pushing it but the door refused to budge.

Almost instantly, a comment was made.

“I think I’ve seen such characters before… Somewhere…” Zoruik dug into his pockets and fished out a piece of paper.

The paper was a dark shade of brown with its folded edges quite fury with worn paper pieces tearing away. With a lot of care for the piece of paper, Zoruik slowly unfolded it.

“What’s that for?” Jade questioned curiously.

“I knew I’ve seen it somewhere.” Zoruik showed her the foreign words on the paper.

“It’s different.” Kyle commented as he peeked at the paper from behind Zoruik.

“They are way different.” Jade nodded in agreement.

“No… It matches perfectly…” Zoruik countered after a few seconds and squatted down. He fumbled his bag for his recorder. Pushing in the earpieces, he fast forwarded the tape.

“Frotusmhere …The Door to the other world… Freedom it means…” It trailed off as the sound of a pencil on paper was heard in the background.

“Bro?” Kyle asked, “Are you still with us Zor?”

Snapping back into reality by the movement of Kyle’s lips, Zoruik nodded without getting much of what he was saying. Almost as though he was separated from them by an invisible wall, and he could hear nothing of what Kyle was trying to tell him. To him, Kyle seemed to be a little wary of what he might do to him or Jade. Well, it was not surprising at all to him. Zoruik was used to being treated as the alien, and having his efforts taken for granted. He walked up to the door and placed both palms on the door. Before he could say anything, a bearded man with a sharp hat walked out from behind the house.

“What are you doing here, out of your territory?” His gruff voice startled the three teenagers.

“Oh… N…Nothing much…” Startled, Jade replied hastily, tugging their shirts to hurry them away from the place.

Since young, Noruik and Toreik would often give them the liberty of picking a book from the shelf during reading time, which they could read to his sister and him. Every book on the shelf were books which spoke of the history, the present and the possible future of the Don Que’or. It was also through that means, that he came to understand the other world better. Although, frankly speaking, he could barely recall much of what he read and heard about that world. No one could blame a tender teenager, who heard nothing more of the Don Que’or since the age for five.

He remembered how then, was always bullied by his elder sister, Yoruik, who was eight, during reading time. His sister would always be by their parents faster than him, because it took him quite a lot of time to crawl out of his bed, to where their parents were seated. Furthermore, the books were too high for him to reach, even on tip-toes. As it was on a first come first serve basis, his sister would always, without fail, be the one to choose what was being read to them. At the beginning, he would get out of bed earlier, so that he was given more time. Of course, that did nothing to change the results. His sister was at least three times faster, and by the age of seven, his sister already knew the uses of the power rings, which his parents would not tell him what use those power rings were, and they would never give him a chance to get near any either.

Clear images of the evil smirk that spread across his sister’s face when she turned to him before returning the book to where it belonged. They would tell them which each of the people were and what roles they played in their world.

He had only immersed himself to all those magic and Don Que’or for a short five years, and hence, could only remember a hazy image of most of what he had heard from his parents and picked out from books. Nonetheless, with the insignificant remains of the minimal amounts of exposure, he was still able to recognise that Y’hier.

Zoruik stood, all calmed where he was, and bowed low, “Much respects to the Wise Ones, I’m Zoruik. These are my siblings Jade and Kyle.” He gestured to his two flustered siblings.

“Go ahead in.” The bearded man nodded his head towards the door when he noticed that Zoruik could recognise him as one of the Wise Ones.

Only Y’hiers knew of the existence of Wise Ones, and only they, could sense the immense energy they emit. A Wise One’s energy can either penetrate a Y’hier with fear or embrace him with warmth, depending on whether the Y’hier believed in the existence of Wise Ones. In either case, they would still pay their respects to Wise Ones. Y’hiers who did not believe in the existence of Wise Ones would refer to them as ‘elders’. However, Wise ones who have yet to be recognised through the ceremonial selection would not be able to sense anything.

“Give us the key and we will.” Jade replied curtly, unaware of the trouble she might land herself in.

“Jade!” Kyle whispered sternly, nudging her to shut up.

Kyle felt a sense of fear creeping up his spine. Somehow, that man in a pointed hat, which Zoruik had referred to as a ‘Wise One’, just gave him a weird feeling.

Oh Man, Jade, just stop trying to cut in whenever you like! You’re going land us in deep trouble if you don’t watch your mouth. Kyle bottled up his fears and gave the Wise One a meek smile.

Zoruik turned around, “You guys may have to wait for a few days for my return. I suggest you all go off first. Rest assures I’ll be fine.” He smiled at them warmly giving them each a hug.

“But…” Kyle and Jade was cut off by the man’s gaze and words.

“Magic is mystical only when it exists alone. Humans should return to where you belong, beyond the borders.” The man paused for awhile before continuing, “Please… and please” He gestured Kyle and Jade the way back to the safe borders of their homeland then to the Zoruik, gesturing for him to enter.

“Who’s he bro?” Kyle asked in wonder.

“The Wise Ones” Zoruik replied nonchalantly.

“Wise Ones…?” Jade popped in.

Before she could reply, Zoruik had already placed both of his hands on the door.

Closing both eyes, he slowly leaned his body’s weight on the door. Upon touching the characters on the door, he felt a tinge of warmth on his checks and whispered, “Frotusmhere… Freedom…”

As if controlled by some unseen power, the door gave way to him.

“Zor!” Kyle and Jade rushed forward in an attempt to pull him away from the door but to no avail.

The opening closed in behind Zoruik, swallowing him into what seemed like an endless abyss. Upon seeing that he has disappeared, Eoreik, the beard Wise One, nodded and turned away.

“Hold on!” Kyle stumbled forward to stop him, “Where did bro go?” He threw the question at Eoreik as if blaming him, though he did not know his name.

Eoreik looked up at Kyle and smiled, “Your Brother, Zoruik, has returned, only to leave again soon.”

Looking past Kyle’s shoulder towards the horizon as the sun was making its way down, he commented quite poetically, “Yellow to orange, worry in love ones’ heart. Home’s way you should make.”

“Don’t speak alien.” Turning her attention from a sparkling piece of broken glass on the ground, Jade shot at Eoreik.

“Our parents know we’ve come on a camp… You…”

“No point talking to him Kyle, he’s just and old man with a pointy hat. He is probably as old as Dumbledore in Harry Potter Series.” Jade grabbed her bag and turned on her heels, ready to leave and never return.

“Wait a minute… I think he knows a great deal more than just that to be called ‘The Wise One’. I’m bewildered by why he is called one anyway. We should take some time to find out more.” He said, after cooling off.

“Fine… Suit yourself. Make it fast.” Jade headed back to the spot where she was, arrogance and annoyance written all over her face.

“Do you want to spend a night at the Council Dormitory?” Eoreik offered. “I believe he will be back by tomorrow.”

Kyle raised a questioning eyebrow at Jade. She shrugged. Knowing her for ten years, he knew exactly what she was thinking. She was those sort who would never turn down a request for free things or offers. She often blamed it on Human instincts.

“Everyone likes free stuff! Imagine you win a lottery for nothing one day! You would be over the moon won’t you?” She once said.

Recalling that line, he shook his head violently. No. Not at all Jade, not at all. I would be too busy wondering where they got my name and address from. He shuddered at the thought that someone could access his details without him knowing, it felt like a terrorist group… Just that they were legal.

“What ‘cha shaking your head about?” Jade faked an American slang.

“Nothing out of the ordinary, just get moving.”

To jade, it was all the better if there was a place to lodge at for free. She did not mind facing Eoreik for even a month, if it meant free food. What could one day count as to her, especially when there’s also free lodging, and free use of television? She could be the fan-girl she adores and forget that she was supposed to be on an adventure altogether!

No doubt a kid… A small grin, barely visible, spread across Kyle’s face.

He took her bag from her and followed after Eoreik.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fictionpress.com/u/690245/

DOOR (Adventure/ Magic)
Page 1 of 1