House of Night Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Affinity for Death

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ageless Vampire
Appointing your friends to your council
Ageless Vampire

Female Posts : 2711

Character sheet
Name:
Age: a time of life (usually defined in years) at which some particular qualification or power arises, such as...
Affinities : Fire & Equestrian

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 5:16 am

He nuzzled into the soft spot on my throat, pulling me near. I was so ready for this moment, it's what I had been waiting for...what we had be waiting for, for so long. His scent was intoxicating and I felt pulled under by desire, a wave of wanting hitting me so hard I wondered if my brain held any thoughts at all.
I was ready for the pain, ready for anything to share my life with him. No matter what I'd have to give up or what it would take, I wanted to be with him. Almost from the moment I saw him, with those light eyes shadowed softly by dark hair. There wasn't an ounce of doubt in my mind, I was encaptured purely by his touch, his presence, his scent and all of me was focused on the moment his lips would touch my skin.

I came bounding down the stairs, in a hurry as always. I can't remember the last time I got to class on time, that was just me. I rummaged in the kitchen to find something to pack for lunch and without much luck, managed a peanut butter and syrup sandwich in a plastic baggie complete with a several-day-old apple. My aunt was gone already and had left a note for me:
"Don't forget your umbrella, it's s'posed to rain! I love you, have a great day! Smile "
I grabbed the note, stuck it in the clear front of my binder and raced for the door, taking only a half second to glare at the clock for the time it read. Sliding on the wooden floor several feet in my socks, I snatched up my backpack and the umbrella, opening the door and almost falling as I came to a complete stop before my momentum caught up to me. I shoved on my shoes and looked up.
Whose car is that in our driveway?
I had never seen it before and I wondered if the pepper spray my aunt put in my bag was still there. The car looked nice, new even, and it seemed to have been sitting there awhile this morning because it was wet with dew. I suspiciously walked over to it, careful not to touch it, and checked the tags. The plates were in state and it was a car I had definitely never seen in our neighborhood before now.
"Tori!"
I let out an embarrising yelp, spun around and saw Elizabeth behind me.
"What! You scared me half to death!"

Please Comment here

Last edited by Run BB Run on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Story is now named! ^.^)
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:
Age: a time of life (usually defined in years) at which some particular qualification or power arises, such as...

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:32 pm

"Sorry, but dang! Whose car is that in your driveway? It's nice!"
"I don't know. This is the first I've seen it."
She hopped off her bike and walked over to me.
"Can I check it out?"
"I don't care. Do what you want. Why are you so late today?"
"I overslept. I know, I know...I never do that but still that exam in English class kept me up all night. I mean having to memorize 200 words isn't my idea of learning our language anyways!"
"Oh my gosh! I didn't even study...is that today?"
"Yeah, you're so screwed!"
She laughed at me as she walked around the car. With my heart rate finally returning to normal, I checked the car out a little better myself. It was midnight black with slightly tinted windows, an adorable little fin on the back and a clean, black interior. Neither she nor I seemed to be able to get up the nerve to touch it. After having completed her second lap around the car, Elizabeth said:
"Well, I'm off! See ya in class, good luck getting there on time!"
She rode off giggling and I sighed. Why me? The car mystery would just have to wait because as much as I hated it, Elizabeth was right and I was never going to get to class on time. I repositioned my bag on my shoulder and had just started walking after Elizabeth, when I heard an engine roaring up the street. What now?!? I turned back around to see my aunt rounding the corner of our street. Maybe, just maybe, I'd luck out and she could drive me to school.

Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 pm

She pulled up to the curb and her power window rolled down.
"Tori Kat!" She grinned at me. "I almost missed you!" She had a look on her face similar to a cat that had just eaten a bird.
"What's up?"
"Well, you know me and surprises! I can't keep them!"
I didn't think it was possible but her grin got bigger. My aunt had this effect on people, no matter what your mood she could make your day better with just a look. I always thought she was beautiful, even when she was driving me crazy. She had soft, straight light brown hair highlighted with golden blonde, color changing hazel eyes and a smile that lit up her face. Not to mention made her look younger then she really was and I'm sure helped her make her clients feel at ease. She was a photographer, artist and a designer all wrapped into one. I hardly ever saw her, even though I lived with her.
"What's going on?" I asked her, knowing full well she could not, not tell me. She was truely terrible at keeping surprises, it was like her whole being simmered and gave her away when she had one in her grasp.
"You probably thought I forgot...or that I was too busy...or I don't know what!" She glanced at me and bounced out of her car. I was completely shocked when she gave me a huge hug and said "Happy 2nd Birthday!"
I just stared at her.
That's all I could do was stare.
"What?" I finally managed.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 pm

"Oh come on! Today's the day! I know we don't talk about it much but it was 16 years ago you ended up on my front porch and changed both of our lives."
"Yeah, I knew that...what's so big about it?"
She gave me a disappointed look and sighed, losing only a drop of her enthusiasm. "Well, remember I told you when you started high school I'd have something special for you?" I gave her a blank look. "Well here it is!"
She was back to practically bouncing up and down, "don't you love it?!"
"Wait...wait...wait! Just hold on a second!" It seemed my brain was having trouble figuring out what was going on with her. I took a deep breath and asked: "Can you just explain please?"
She gave me a knowing look and said: "I know what your problem is today, you think 'I'm going to be late' and 'It's going to rain and I have to walk home in it.' but just wait, really... you're going to love today!" She walked back to her car, opened the passenger side door and came back with a large off white envelope. The envelope read:

To: Catori
With love: Your Aunt
Happy Birthday with me! Enjoy!

It was finished off with a heart and black lines that swirled up and surrounded the whole message. I smiled back at her. Okay, now I was getting excited. I had the present in hand! "May I?" I asked her. She laughed and made a gesture that clearly said two things. "Of course!" and "Hurry up!" Giggling, I opened the envelope and in it was a set of keys and a title for a Toyota MR2 1997 Coupe. My mouth dropped open and then closed just as quickly, my excitement was bubbling over and I was practically bursting with uncontrollable giggles, I could only imagine I was looking very much like a fish just then.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 4:40 am

"Are you kidding me?" I exclaimed. "No way!"
"Yes way!" She said and hugged me again, tightly this time like she wasn't going to let me go before pulling back. "I'm so proud of you and I've grown to love you like you are my own daughter." She gave me a motherly look and said: "Now be careful, watch out for other idiots and congrats again on getting your driver's license!"
I hugged her back and smiled. "Thank you! Thanks so much! This is better then I ever dreamed!"
She returned the smile and said: "Well remember no driving with anyone else in the car, follow the laws and I thought it would help to have a two seater. You know, so you won't be tempted to drive your friends around in it anyways! The car is small and should be easy to get used to driving, but don't do anything stupid with it. If you damage it, it's gone. I'm not going to front you anything else, so drive it like it's your baby." She glanced back at her car with a look of pride. "It took me forever to earn the money to get my very own first car and I hated the car my dad helped me buy. I didn't want you to feel the same, I hope you really like this car. So be responsible about it." I gave her a hug, a kiss on the cheek and she took the envelope with the title back. "I'll put this in the bank in your name to keep it safe and you should start looking for a job to cover the insurance on the car."
"I'll start today!" I told her, still numb with shock that this beautiful car was actually my own. I stared down at the two keys on the silver locket oval shaped keyring. The first thing I noticed was my name 'Tori' engraved on the front and inside was a photo of my aunt and I, taken about a week ago in the mall. I smiled at the image of us smiling back at me. That was a fun birthday shopping trip! Right before we left the mall, my aunt said: "Wait! Let's take some photos, just for fun!" We climbed in one of those photo booths, smiled and made faces and came out with a strip of photos. My aunt had loved the smiling one of us and kept it.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 7:03 pm

"I made you a copy." She must be reading my mind! I looked up at her; "what's the other key on the ring?"
"It's for the house." She told me, "I know I am not always here and you are stuck waiting on me all the time. This way you can come and go easier, but remember the rules and be home by midnight!" She paused and added: "And don't you dare not call me to let me know where you are and what time you'll be home!"
"Thanks so much!" I hugged her again and saw shimmers of tears in her eyes.
"You go now." She said: "Or you will be late!"
She walked back over to her car, got in and drove off. I stood there on the driveway watching her go and feeling a mix of love and regret. I loved her so much but I had a deep regret for not knowing my parents. They had died in a freak accident when I was very young. My real mom had left in her will that should anything happen to them, I was to go to her sister in the States. My aunt always celebrated two birthdays with me, the first my real birthday and the second my 'birthday' for coming to live with her. The second was usually nothing more then a sit down dinner, a movie, or a trip to the ice cream store. My aunt just took time out of her busy schedule and spent that time with me. This was the biggest 2nd birthday I'd ever had and I didn't quite know what to make of it.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 am

For my actual birthday, a week ago, we had gone to the mall and I got several new outfits. It was only a couple of days before that, when I received my new driver's license for passing the test. I was so excited to be starting my senior year and having a license to drive, even though I figured I'd never have a car.
In shock, I glanced back at the car in the driveway and was breathless. Could it be true? Was this car really my own car? I walked over to the car and sure enough the key fit. I opened the door, shivering with excitement and peered inside. It was so perfect! I noticed a fancy package on the passenger seat, wrapped in silver with a white poofy bow and another of my aunt's pretty tags on it. I opened the beautiful gift and found 2 black seat covers inside. They were monogramed in silver and said: "MR2." I put them on and tossed the papers from the gift in the trash can on the driveway. Sitting down in the car, I put my book bag in the seat beside me and started nerviously fiddling with all the little parts. I got used to the lay out of things practicing with the turn signals, adjusting the mirrors and testing the windshield wipers. I was so glad my aunt had made me learn on a stick because I wouldn't have been able to handle this car without all that practice in my uncle's beater. My aunt had told him she needed his truck to move some things around for one of her clients and he let her borrow it for a couple of weeks. She actually wanted it to teach me and I got to drive it around the parking lot at the fairgrounds, learning all about shifting and stalling and starting and ugh! Yeah it wasn't easy.
So when faced with my own brand new car, I was lets just say a little freaked out! I pushed in the clutch, remembering to move the stick to the center and wiggle it, and started the engine. My next thought was: "WTF!"
The car purred at me but the engine sounded...how do I put it? Wrong! I had to check it out and searched everywhere until I finally found the little latch to open the hood in the glove box. I pulled the latch and the hood opened with a pop. I slid my hand around and pulled the lever to raise the hood, just to try to see...I don't know...what was wrong? I peered in and saw...nothing. Okay, go figure, I can't even find the engine no wonder it was weird. I went back to the car, fiddled some more and managed to open the trunk and sure enough, the engine was there instead. So, I knew bugs were like that but had no idea other cars could be that way too! It was really cool!
Then, just like that, it dawned on me I was going to be super late for class. I smacked my hand to my head and my inner voice dripped with sarcasm: "That's just great!" Shaking my head, I sat back in my car and started to take off; started because I stalled it right off the bat. I gave myself a little mental pep talk and tried again, this time my car lurched forward and smacked the trash can. "Oh no!" I shouted at myself. "What are you doing?!?" I got out and realized that even though the can was a bit dinted, my car was okay. "Thank goodness," I said to it. "I just got you and already I'm trying to kill you! Please forgive me and please help me get to school!" Great, my head thought, I am already pleading with my car.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm

The third time's the charm, this time I had my car in reverse and it jerked out into the street. I made the exchange to first, jerked a little and switched to second. When it got up to speed, my car hummed with power and fit me perfectly! I would so much just rather drive all over town getting to know my car and completely skip school, but I had no idea how I was going to afford gas. I figured missing out on school wouldn't help me convince my aunt to loan me money if I needed it.
Instead of parking in the school lot, I decided to park on Karl Court at the end of the neighborhood and cut over through the fence. This way my new car would attract less attention. I attempted to slide into class unnoticed, but had no such luck and landed myself in detention for my free period. The only good news about that was I had time to study for that stupid English exam. When lunch rolled around, I sat at my usual quiet table and had just pulled out my sandwich when Elizabeth waltzed over. This was unusual because she never talked to me in school. I mean she was a cheerleader and little miss popular, where I was quiet, shy and smart. It wasn't that I was unpopular, but I didn't like to draw attention to myself and was happy just sitting in my own little world with a book or journal for doodling.
"Hey Tori," she said casually.
"What's up Elizabeth?" I eyed her suspiciously.
"Just wondering what's up with you actually."
I looked at her, "Uh, what do you mean?"
"Well you were late, that's normal but you know there was this nice car in your driveway this morning and ..." she let her voice trail off.
"Well, oh, I dunno...its probably nothing." I told her and perked up. "Are you ready for homecoming? That's a big game and I think we have a great chance of winning. Besides aren't you up for the court?"
She sighed and I could tell she would bite the bait.
"They haven't announced the court yet." She informed me, "I'm sure that we'll win this game. We almost had that last game against the Buccaneers, one of the toughest teams in our region and it was on their turf. Who are you going to homecoming with this year?"
Ugh, she had to ask that...well at least my car was out of the spotlight. I hadn't thought about it at all. Last year I went with Nick, but he moved and we have since then lost touch. It wasn't like we were serious or anything, but he was a sweet guy.
"I honestly don't know yet." I looked at her, "who are you going with this year?"
"Casey Landon, of course!" She grinned, "he's only the best quarterback we have had in the last four years!"
"That's great..." I started, as she glanced back towards her table and saw Casey carrying his lunch in that direction. "Yeah, well...nice talking with you Tori! I'll see ya later!" She bounced away, not even noticing I had started to reply to her. Elizabeth reminded me of a golden retriever, big brown eyes and soft golden hair. No wonder the guys found her so loveable, but she didn't have any long relationships either. I sighed. I couldn't wait for the day to be over and to get back to my car. The last thing I wanted to think about was homecoming.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am

Lucky for me, the test in English wasn't that bad and the extra study time I had really seemed to help. After that the rest of the day just rolled smoothly by and finally came to an end. I skirted up to the computer lab and checked the bulletin for local job postings. It wasn't that I was excited to get a job, but I had done some math of my own in math class and realized my new car wasn't going to be cheap. I skimmed over the board, finding lots of volunteer positions and noticed one covered up by the others. I pulled the whole flier off the board and checked it out. It was for a front desk position at the local bowling alley and actually didn't sound half bad. So, I decided to head home and go apply at Spin Alley.
Me walking was normal, so no one took notice of me as I headed out to get my car. I was happy to see that my car was fine and the neighborhood was quiet. Getting into 'my' car was the best feeling, I won't pretend I wasn't still as nervous as heck driving it, but just knowing I could now drive where ever I wanted gave me a sort of excited buzz. I did better starting off in first this time and knew with practice my car and I would be a perfect pair (I only stalled it once on the way home).
Once I got home, it took me longer then I thought to find some nice black pants, strappy high-heels and a silky shirt that was great with my olive skin. I knew I could have been ready to go a lot faster but I was super nervous about going in there and asking about the job, part of me wasn't sure I was ready for the extra responsibility. I gave myself a mental pep talk and kick in the butt with thoughts like; "you can do this," "they need someone or their wouldn't be an opening," "it's not like it's an interview anyways," "just suck it up and get it over with," and walked a little slower back to my car. Sitting in the car, with both hands on the wheel, I took a deep breath and begged my nerves to quiet down. After I got myself under control, I was ready to give it a shot and realized there was no way I could drive in my cute, strappy high-heels. Hello! What was I thinking?! So I decided to drive barefoot and leave them in the seat next to me. I actually surprised myself by driving better this way, it was like I was more in tune with what the car wanted me to do to make the ride more smooth. I pulled into the parking lot at Spin Alley and parked off to the side away from the other cars. I wasn't ready to try parking with other cars right beside me. Taking several deep breaths, I put my black strappy high-heels back on and decided to give it a go. "What the heck", I told myself "why not?"
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 am

Once I got inside a nice, older lady greeted me and asked if I wanted to setup a lane. I told her, "I wish I was here for bowling but I'm actually here for the front desk job" and added "...if it's still available anyway."
"Sorry sweetie," she told me... "we just filled that job last week."
"Oh well thanks, are there any other..." I paused and heard a little boy crying. That's when I turned around and saw the cutest little boy with messy brown hair. He was standing by the twenty-five cent toy machines and looked way to young to be all by himself. I walked over to him and asked, "What's wrong little guy?"
He looked utterly upset, had snot coming out of his nose and spilled food on his shirt. Ewww, how is it that little kids can be so cute but so gross!
"Why are you sad? Are you lost or something?"
He looked up at me with cute little chubby cheeks and puffy red eyes and choked out, "I can't *sob* find my *sob* mommy!"
"I bet she's right here! Don't cry now, here take my hand we'll go find her." He put his little hand in mine and we started walking towards the bowling lanes. "Did you get to bowl today?" I asked him.
"I did!" He exclaimed, suddenly all smiles. "Mommy said I did so good!"
"I bet she's right over here!" I said leading towards a woman who appeared to be looking around the seats & scanning the bowling alley for someone. I took the cute, chubby little guy over to her.
"Excuse me," I started...
"Oh Jimmy!" She started, "why did you run off like that? You know better! I was so worried!" Jimmy, the cute little chubby boy, responded with more sobs. His mom scooped him up into a hug, "there, there now...I've got you. You're okay! Shhh!" She seemed to notice me then... "Oh thank you!" She smiled at me, "He's such a handful!"
"That's okay," I told her "I'm just glad I found him!"
"Thanks so much," she said.
"Really, it was no problem. How old is he?"
"He's about to turn four years old, next week..." she explained. "We decided to come practice bowling because his sister loves it. We're thinking about having a bowling party for him."
"He told me he did really good with bowling!" I smiled at Jimmy, who smiled back at me, "you two have a great rest of the day." Jimmy's mom returned my smile and said: "You too, hopefully we'll see you around!"
I walked back over to the front desk lady. "I'm sorry," I told her. "Thanks for telling me the job was filled, I really didn't mean to be rude...it's just that..."
"Hey," she interrupted me. "That was a very sweet thing you did for that little boy. I bet if we still had the job you would've been chosen for the position. You seem like such a sweet girl."
I blushed, "Thank you! That really makes me feel better. I was really nervous, because this would have been my first interview."
She motioned me closer, "Look sweetie, now I'm not supposed to say anything but I have heard, through the grapevine, that Lucky Strike Lanes is hiring. Why don't you go check there?"
"Really?!" My stomach did one of those flutter things... "Thanks so much for the tip!"
"No problem, but you didn't hear it from me and you'd better get over there today because I'm sure the spot won't last." She gave me a wink and then said: "Well what are you waiting for, the rain to start again?"
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

"Thanks!" I told her again and ran, as best as I could in interview heels, out the front door. I couldn't help but check the sky as I walked out of the bowling alley (and yes, it did look like rain). I stopped quickly about two steps from my car and thought "wtf, I have no idea how to get to Lucky Strike Lanes!" One of my good friends, Charley, lived a couple of blocks away and I just knew he would help me out. We had been friends ever since our mom's made us go to a YMCA youth camp one summer. He made it manageable for me, I don't know what I would have done if we hadn't talked and become friends. I think it would have been the most wasted, boring summer of my life!
Charley is a dorky, but super sweet guy with soft brown hair that's always kept pretty short. He is tall and lanky, and like me usually he is quiet. I really don't think he cares much about socializing with people outside the realm of the computer. He plays games like World of Warcraft ("For the Horde!" he says.) and Left for Dead. I would say he's a computer genius because I don't know much about them and I'm sure he could build one from scratch with a box and some circuit boards. Yah, he's crazy like that and he would be perfect to help me get directions to Lucky Strike Lanes!
It had been about a month since I last texted Charley, so I sincerely hope he is still living life behind the screen and can save me this one time! I dropped him a text...
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Char can u hlp me plz? pretty plz?
"Oh please have your phone by your computer!" I thought at the phone in my hand.
Yes, of course - r u okay? Kat, where u been? Long time no talk.
OMG! Char! Im good! I need ur help! plz! Can u give me directions to lucky strike? That bowling place in the city?
Sure, Kat. 1 sec.

"Oh Char!" I thought "What would I do without you?"
kk, here it is. u know i got ur bak.
He sent me super detailed directions and ended the text with a wink face. Seriously, I couldn't help but think Char rocks!
Thx Char u saved me I so owe u! Im tryin to get a job - omg got an awsm car!
O ya? Send me the specs and let me drive it some time!
Keep dreamin neways gotta run. l8r.
Luv ya.

Crap! It was a long drive to the Lucky Strike Lanes, if I didn't get going it would be dark and I really didn't like the idea of being so close to Seattle when the sun went down. I couldn't really explain the feeling, just that it gives me the creeps and the sun always goes down early in the city. Its like a forest of buildings complete with creepy shadows and wild animals. Actually, the more I thought about it, the more I thought I shouldn't go to this interview. I had this nagging gut kinda feeling that said: "I don't know if this is such a great idea." and "Don't you think it's kinda far away?" I shook my head and got in the car, I'm not going to let me, talk me out of this job! I need it and I want it! Having made up my mind, I pulled off my heels, clutched in and turned the key. With my stomach doing flip flops, I set out for my first long drive in my car.
Lucky for me there wasn't any traffic and after about 40 minutes I was in a parking garage trying to remind myself that I really did want this job. I sat there taking about another 5 minutes of deep breathing before deciding that I was ready to give this job a shot. Just the 10 minutes I spent looking for a place to park was enough to almost send me back home, let alone the fact that it would be dark when I drove back home for certain. I slowly slid on my black heels and got out of the car, making sure it was locked and nothing was visible inside of it. My aunt had always told me to never leave anything out in a car for a couple reasons, but the 2 main ones were: 1. people can learn things about you from your things and 2. it gives people a reason to break into your car. Since neither of those things seemed good to me, I was always careful when closing up her car and now my car. Twisting the strap of my purse a couple of times around my wrist, I set off for the Lucky Strike Lanes.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:48 pm

I took the stairs because I hate parking garage elevators and made my way over to the bowling alley. It didn't look as busy as I thought it would from the outside, but when I walked in the door I could tell right away it was super upscale. I just about turned and walked way, when a nice looking guy said:
"Excuse me, Miss, can I help you?"
"Yes." I replied a little too hastily but I was proud that my voice didn't sound as shaky as I felt inside. "I am actually here because I heard you have a position available for hostess."
"We do, come with me." He lead me into the alley and I felt star struck. Everyone there had to be in their 20s, 30s or 40s and they all were dressed nice! They were laughing, talking and drinking. I couldn't picture one of them stepping foot in the family bowling alley I just came from, honestly they didn't look like they cared all that much about the game of bowling either. Sure, they were rolling the ball down the lane but the girls swayed their hips and danced to the edge of lane. The guys showed off their strength and seemed to be trying to one up each other to show who was the 'man' at bowling. A couple of girls checked me out and then resumed their conversation as if I didn't just see them stare. I even spotted a couple passionately kissing on a couch beside the lane, it was enough to make me blush and look away. What kind of a bowling alley was Lucky Strike?
"Hello!" A nice masculine voice interrupted my inner dialogue.
"Oh geese, I'm sorry I was just checking it out..." I blushed even deeper. "I mean you know, the lanes, and everything...Sorry, what did you want?" Okay, so I was totally caught off guard and totally embarrassed. I must have looked like a nit wit! Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 am

"I was just saying to go around this corner and wait out here. Vin will come interview you."
"He's going to interview me right now?" My voice sounded incredulous.
"Yeah, he needs this spot filled. We've been busy and I'm sure he would be happy to get away for a bit. He doesn't usually spend so much time in his office." He looked towards the hallway and back at me. "You know, sorry to say...but you look kind of young to be working here."
"Ugh, yeah I probably am young to be working here but I was referred here and I do really need this job."
"Well, good luck kid. My name is Mike, you can let me know if you need help finding your way back out." He laughed quietly and shook his head as he walked away. I walked over to the bench and sat down. Then I begged my stomach to stop rumbling and complaining at me. I sighed. Really? What was I doing here?
"Come on in!" I heard a deep voice call from behind the door.
I opened the door and saw a short, balding man. Not at all what I expected from the sound of his voice. He was facing a modern looking computer and typing; he motioned towards a chair without turning. His desk was a huge, wooden desk and two leather chairs sat on my side of it. On his side, he had a large green plant in a corner window, lots of books, some worn binders, a couple of really neat looking bowling pins and a fancy clock. He was sitting in a leather chair on wheels and laying in an ash tray by his desk was a cigar, it was still smoking.
"So, you're interested in the job?"
"Yes sir." I replied. He swiveled around to look at me and picked up his cigar. His eyes gave me a once over and he said: "how old are you?"
"Seventeen," I answered and, as I handed him my application, added: "I was referred to you from an employee of Spin Alley, she told me you really needed someone."
"I do," he replied "but I don't know if I want to mess with someone so young." He hardly looked at my application, laying it in front of him on the desk and stared at me.
I met his eyes, "Look sir, I really need this job. I just got my own car and I need to be able to pay for it, so that also means I have reliable transportation. I am a very quick learner and a hard worker." He raised his eyebrows at me and I continued: "I have a B average and because I am a senior I have a flexible schedule."
"You can't be around drinking." He interrupted me, "you are too young. I don't want to have to worry about a minor getting in the way. Its against the law for me to work you around the bar."
"I know sir," I interrupted him back. "There is nothing illegal about me working as a hostess. I am not allowed to sale or distribute drinks but other than that...I don't see the problem."
"Hmmm." He looked at his pile of papers and back at me. "I like you. You've got a strong attitude. Let me just tell you that normally I wouldn't give you the time of day, but being that I really need to fill this position I'll give you a chance." He paused in thought. "Let me show you around, you tell me what you can do for me and I'll consider you. You get your minor paperwork to me and don't give me any crap. You just might work out." His chair creaked as he stood, "come on let me show you what you would do. We'll see if you are still interested."
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 am

"Thank you so much for this opportunity Sir!" I exclaimed as I followed him to the door. "I won't let you down!"
"Mike!" His voice boomed. Not ten seconds later the same guy that showed me in appeared around the corner.
"Yah, boss?" he replied. His voice sounded lazy and stuck up, it was like he was bored or maybe it was because he was in the middle of something and just got interrupted.
"Take..." he paused and looked over at me.
"Tori!" I supplied him with the word (my name) he was trying to think of before he could try my real name and mess it up.
"Tori," he continued "...and show her around. Let her know what her responsibilities are and when she'll be on the schedule. If she gives you any trouble, let me know and she's gone." He looked at me again and added: "You got that?"
"Yes Sir!" I said without hesitation. In the back of my mind this little voice kept saying: "Are you sure you want to get involved with this man's attitude? Can you handle it? What if you screw up? You don't know the first thing about bowling!" Really it just wouldn't stop, so I plastered a smile on my face and looked at Mike like I was a lost puppy. "Come on..." Mike said to me and turned back down the hall. I trailed after him as he begin the tour.
"These are the lanes," he gestured towards the bowling area. "We have 16 lanes and 4 lanes in our private suite. The private suite also has a bar area and projection screen area. The stars hang here baby." He grinned at me after making that last comment and continued: "we also have 2 pool tables in our gaming area. I'm sure Vin will want you to stay away from the bar area, but you'll have to validate parking and keep track of who is here. You get to welcome them, basically you smile and greet them. Then you check them in for their parties. You'll use this computer here. You will need to remember to check our calendar of events daily and be on top of everything. When the phone rings, you answer it and you need to know everything we offer. You'll clock in and out because this job is hourly. You'll only get minimum wage here, so I hope its worth your drive." He eyed me and give me a look I didn't quite understand.
"I think I can handle it." I told him.
"Come on then," he said leading me into some back areas of the lanes. "Let me introduce you to some of the other staff." He took me to a staff only area that had lockers, several tables and a nice, but small serving area. "This is the break room, you can take any locker that doesn't have a lock on it. You can use anything here but keep it neat. We have a bulletin board with pictures and news over here." He gestured towards a wall filled with clippings on recent star visits and staff pics. All the pictures were of them with various stars and all of them were at parties.
"Guess there is a lot of partying going on around here."
"You could say that," Mike smiled at me, probably the first truly warm smile he gave me. "This job is fun, lots of it, but its also a job and that means work. Our clients expect to have a great time, they pay big for that time and our service has to give them what they want. Understand?"
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 am

"Yeah, that makes sense."
He took me over and introduced me to a sexy girl in a short black dress, who's name I can't remember. She was one of the cocktail waitresses and was talking to a guy named James. James was very nice, but I could tell he was a rough around the edges kinda guy. James is one of the bartenders. Then I met a couple of other people: Will, the control desk guy (who reminded me of Char), several of the servers and a runner. There was no way I could remember all of their names, I was just too overwhelmed and nervous. I felt young meeting the staff, all of whom where in their early to late 20s and I also felt like I was never going to fit in with these people.
Mike then told me that in the main kitchen, which he said I would never really need to visit, was a second staff. Our staff made up the front staff and the others where the back staff. I so wished I had a pen and paper on me to keep track of all of this information. He wrote my schedule for next week on a piece of paper and then asked if I wanted to try out the lanes with him between parties. I thought what the heck and said "sure." I really wanted Mike to like me and being his friend seemed like a great idea.
Mike left me in the break room with a pen and several sheets of printer paper, on which I wrote as many notes as I could remember about the job I was starting next week. James had told me bye as he left to go back to work in the bar and the sexy girl waved her fingers at me as she slid her arm protectively around James. The last look she shot me wasn't a friendly one. 'Great, already I get a weird look from this girl! Drama, just what I need!' I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, if only she knew I didn't find James attractive at all, if that's what she's worried about; I mean come on! She doesn't even know me. He just wasn't my type. Mike on the other hand, maybe but even he was a little old for me. Besides, I wasn't here to find guys! I was here to work, here for my new car! My stomach still felt sick with nerves and the smell of break room food wasn't helping it.
I decided to go back out into the main area of the lanes and maybe just grab a seat to myself away from all the action. I managed to find my way back out, after only a few wrong turns. I saw Mike standing over by the bar and walked over to him. "Hey," I started "did you really want to try a game of bowling with me?" He looked at me and said "Yeah, I think it would be fun, it's not like you'll get to play much when you're here on the job." He finished his water and walked over to some nice seats with me. We waited around and the party that was going on when I arrived finally started to pack up and leave. "I'll be back," he said and went to go talk to the party people and help them get their things. When he had noticed the last of the party walking out, he came and got me. "Let's give it a go shall we?" he gave me his hand and helped me up.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 am

Immediately he walked over to the lanes and motioned to the camera. The lane he was in front of lit up, he walked over to the computer that controlled the lane, entered his name 'Mike' and entered mine 'Tory'. "Actually," I told him. "I spell it 'T-o-r-i' but thanks for remembering it." He gave me a look that made me blush, did I say that he was nice looking? Mike had cropped blond hair and was definitely in good shape. He looked like he needed to shave in the nicest way, had an excellent smile and soft blue eyes. He was wearing black dress pants, black leather shoes and a black button-up shirt that had 'Lucky Strike' embroidered in white on the front pocket.
"Take off your heels."
I looked in his eyes. "Do you have some shoes for me?"
"No," he said with another cute grin. "We are bowling in our socks or in your case bare feet."
I giggled and took off my heels. We started our game and of course, he was great! I, on the other hand, was not so great.
"You sure you don't want me to put out some bummers for you?" he teased me. "Or better yet, I can come over and help you." This comment was followed by a sexy half smile.
"No thanks!" I told him with my hand on my hip, I waggled my finger at him. "Don't get your hopes up, like you said I'm kinda young to be working here." I used his words and made him smile. I don't think my age was discouraging for him either. I wouldn't mind if he asked me out he was very nice looking and seemed nice from what I knew of him. It was on the 9th frame, his turn, when the next party arrived. Mike stopped and set down his ball, immediately walking over to greet them.
I couldn't hear what they were saying but Mike came back over and slid on his shoes, "be right back!" I noticed that it was dark outside as the group walked in and pulled out my cell phone! Oh wow, it was after ten o'clock already. Where did the time go? I saw Mike lead the group towards the private party lanes, then noticed another guy standing in the door. He must have walked in after his party and now didn't know where they went. He was looking directly at me. Well, I thought, I'm going to be working here so might as well help him find his group. I put my heels back on and walked over towards him. The light was dim and he was in shadow but I felt slightly chilled by the fact that I could tell his eyes never left me. He watched every move I made as I walked over to him. Then about two steps from him, my eyes adjusted and I could make out his features, he was beautiful! I stopped dead in my tracks and stared right back at him. My stomach which had calmed while playing with Mike, was instantly filled with jitters and my throat went dry. Whatever I was going to say to him, suddenly fled my mind and all I could do was stand there.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 3:09 am

"Hello," he said softly, his gaze never leaving mine. He seemed to expect me to reply but when I didn't after a minute or so, he continued "do you work here?"
"I..I..I start next week, so yes but not yet." I sounded childish and nervous, for Pete's sake, I even stuttered. He had to be one of the most handsome men I had ever seen, even compared to those sexy 'James Bond' type guys in the movies! He must be a star of some sort, I couldn't picture him as anything else. His hair was longer and so dark it looked almost black, which in the dim light made his skin look very pale. He had the most flawless skin, I couldn't make out a blemish. I was still two steps away, but that's besides the fact. He had these amazingly light brown eyes that looked like they had seen a lot, they were deep but without being dark. I was awe-struck and frozen to the spot. It was as if the floor had turned into a mouse trap and I was the mouse stuck in the sticky stuff. I don't think I would have minded if he was the cat coming to get me out! He was wearing a suit that must have been tailored to him and his shirt was distractingly unbuttoned, just enough to be casual and show off his chest without being over done. All this time his gaze never left my face, not that I could say the same for me. I wouldn't have been surprised if my mouth was hanging open. Oh God, I hope it wasn't!
He took a step towards me and offered his hand, "my name is Sedrick, and you are?"
"I'm Tori." I carefully placed my hand in his and shivered from head to toe with the chill of his skin. Of course, I could have imagined that shiver because the moment his lips touch my hand, I felt like I was burning up! I flushed with another blush and dropped my eyes.
"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Tori." He spoke softly, making me want to lean in just to hear his voice. He had an accent I couldn't place. It was subtle and he smelled divine! It was like sandalwood and basil, but with a mix of something else. I couldn't quite place it but it was definitely masculine. He smiled at me. His smile was perfect. What was most odd was that he didn't look as old as everyone else here, he looked not much older then me! "Miss Tori, would you like.."
"Sedrick, there you are!" Mike's voice broke through the trance I seemed to be in as he walked over to us. "You aren't usually late for your own parties."
"Only a minute behind, I was just meeting your new co-worker Miss Tori."
"Yeah, she starts next week." Mike told him.
"So, I've been informed." Sedrick said as he let my hand slide from his and turned back to me. "I hope to see you more in the future, Miss Tori. Good evening."
Sedrick strode away towards the party room without any guidance from Mike. I heard Mike sigh.
"What's up?"
He gave me a disgusted look and said: "You aren't the first girl to drool all over him you know." What was this comment about?
"I can only imagine." I shot back at him. "Sorry our game got interrupted, I was having a great time. So, I'll see you on Saturday?"
"Yeah see you then." Mike replied, walking away from me before he even finished that short remark. I shook my head and started for the door. Before going outside, I put my keys in one hand and pepper spray in the other. I wasn't excited about going out into the night alone in the city.
Back to top Go down
Ageless Vampire
Ageless Vampire

Character sheet
Name:

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:28 pm

((*hugs back*))

I guess I shouldn't have been worried because I made it to my car just fine and took my time driving home. My head was filled with thoughts of my new job and mostly, thoughts of Sedrick. Was I going to be running into people as amazing in looks as Sedrick often now that I had this job? Or was he just one in a million? I had to tell my friends about him. Not that we spent much time talking about guys but I'm sure they wouldn't mind hearing about my evening, who doesn't love drama? As a matter of fact, I should call Kristina right now! This is the kinda thing she would love. She spends most of lunch reading romance novels and is the most girlie girl I know. I pulled in my driveway and dialed her number. The phone said in a female computer voice: please enjoy the music while your party is being connected and 'The One' by Kylie Minogue started playing. After a min or so, I got connected to Kristina's voice mail. "You've missed me, you know you have! So leave me a message!" *beep*
"Kristina, omg if you are there you better call me back! I know it's late but I can't wait to tell you about this guy I met tonight! Oh and I got a new job, I think it's going to be pretty cool. Kristina, this guy was like straight out of the movies! He's amazing and he kissed my hand! Can you believe that? It was totally old-fashioned and romantic, and what's even more weird is I actually liked every second of it! Call me back! Or if you are in bed already I'll just tell you tomorrow at lunch! Can't wait to talk to ya then, luvs ya!"
How was I going to get any sleep with Sedrick running around in my thoughts all night? This was so not me. I locked up the car and headed up to my bedroom, I was surprised I wasn't even hungry. About half way up the stairs I decided to grab a 7up and some twizzlers. Might as well snack if I was going to be up all night anyways. I sat at the desk beside my bed and pulled out my math book. What could make a girl more tired then math homework right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Affinity for Death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affinity for Death   Affinity for Death Empty

Back to top Go down

Affinity for Death
Page 1 of 1