House of Night Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?

Go down 
+31
ZoeRedbird
tdb1997
Moonerz.
Rose
Vamp_wannabe
Ivy
Nightchild
-~Lumanee~-
~Devon~
Fallen_warrior
xxEmo Hippie Angelxx
ainhi90
ApacheBoy
verona
~Crystal_Night_goddess~
Tabor~!
Hex
Alaina123
Shikyo
Jazzy512
Kai_Of_The_Shadowz
BonnieBennett
darkdaughter741852
~Jenny-kins~
archery74
dana.mariel
markedjaspercullen
jazmine
Flicker
nightgoddess14
Mr.D
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
ZoeRedbird
Mod
Mod
ZoeRedbird

Female Libra Pig

Character sheet
Name: Dock
Affinities : Telepathy

What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 2:07 am

i havnt read the other posts infront,
but on the back of the books i have it says not for younger readers.
Back to top Go down
Moonerz.
Trying to stop war
Trying to stop war
Moonerz.

Female Taurus Tiger

Character sheet
Name: Marissa Winters (Mar)
Affinities : Witchcraft and Shadow Casting

What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 am

If memory serves, the raciest of the books was probably the first(:
If you're up to it, skim and scan through it and come up with your own opinion. Nobody can really tell you how you raise your daughter. It'd be best if you just trusted your own gut instinct, you know?

For instance:
I started reading the series when I was 11, on the brink of 12. I had read Twilight first. So, my mom had read all of the Twilight books first, had trusted me in knowing that if the books were anymore sexually advanced, to simply put it down. So, when it comes down to it, I think it'd be based on two things:
1. What you're ready to expose your daughter to.
2. How maturely your daughter handles such a read.
Back to top Go down
vampirechild
Accidentally blowing your friends over with Air
vampirechild

Female Virgo Tiger

Character sheet
Name: Sita
Affinities : water, fire

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 5:23 pm

I am 12 and started reading them at 11. I got them from my school library, and I have to agree with Moonrez, because I, for one, belive that I handled the sex* and *gross scenes very well, my parents don't know about it, but it doesn't matter, because my mom has already read most of the books I read, and she knows I handle it maturely. And she has already exposed to me such things. So, think about those two things and make your desision. Also, consider thease,

Is she mature enough?

What have you already exposed her too?

Does she understand the 'slang' street sex words such as blow job, and etc.?

As well, I found the blow job scene not that bad. The worst part is, and I quote, when a guy that she is intercoursing with is being very protective of her, and basically the main character is not a bad slut girl. So it's not that bad.
Back to top Go down
Erinacchi
Finally mastering Fire
Finally mastering Fire
Erinacchi

Female Cancer Dog

Character sheet
Name: Erina
Affinities : Air, water, writing

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 am

I was fourteen, going fifteen when I started to read HoN.

I think the appropriate age to start reading HoN is whenever the one wanting to read them feels like they can handle the "hard stuff" as well. Can't say a specific age.
Back to top Go down
http://filin-prinsessa.tumblr.com/
WazzuMan
Discovering you have an affinity for Air
Discovering you have an affinity for Air
WazzuMan

Male Gemini Monkey

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 am

I theorise that there is no direct relation between a person's age and their maturity. What shapes a person is not how long they've lived their lives but how they've lived them. It's our experiences and choices we make that determine our maturity and not when we were born. As a message to all parents faced with this question, you know your children and I urge you to learn what your children can or cannot handle. Learn, but do not decide.

Last edited by WazzuMan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vampirechild
vampirechild

Female Virgo Tiger

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Oh, WazzMan, your definatly one for those interesting answers.

Yes, I believe that it does not define your age on when you should read a certain level of matureity in books. It ALL depends on maturity of the kid. I starated reading them when I was 11, sooooo ya.
Back to top Go down
Erinacchi
Finally mastering Fire
Finally mastering Fire
Erinacchi

Female Cancer Dog

Character sheet
Name: Erina
Affinities : Air, water, writing

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:09 pm

WazzuMan wrote:
I theorise that there is no direct relation between a person's age and their maturity. What shapes a person is not how long they've lived their lives but how they've lived them. It's our experiences and choices we make that determine our maturity and not when we were born. As a message to all parents faced with this question, you know your children and I urge you to learn what they can or cannot handle. Learn, but do not decide.
Yep, basically how I think too.
Back to top Go down
http://filin-prinsessa.tumblr.com/
vampirechild
vampirechild

Female Virgo Tiger

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Ya, he just answer;s so uniquely.
Back to top Go down
ZoeRedbird
Mod
Mod
ZoeRedbird

Female Libra Pig

Character sheet
Name: Dock
Affinities : Telepathy

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 pm

i go by what he says too. Nod
Back to top Go down
staythenight
Being Chosen by Nyx
Being Chosen by Nyx
staythenight

Female Libra Rat

Character sheet
Name: Lexi
Affinities : Weather

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm

I was 15, and I'm really mature so it depends on your maturity level
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?   What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

What is an appropriate age to start reading House of Night series?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4